When it comes to having marketing goals in a business, it is important to:
- Make your goals realistic: If you are looking to double your business, but not spending additional resources and funds on marketing, that would be highly unrealistic. Take a look at your industry average for growth rates and determine the investment your business is capable of making in marketing, then determine what is a fair growth rate that is achievable, but at the same time pushes your team to excel.
- Set up a marketing plan: By documenting your marketing plan and goals, you’ll have a 313% greater chance of success according to the recent Coschedule survey. It is easy to develop a marketing plan using technology such as Robotic marketing, or just write it yourself.
- Put your plan in a project management software: It’s good to have goals and a marketing plan, but without having an implementation plan in place, it probably won’t happen. Make sure you have a weekly cadence for marketing activities in place, key stakeholders responsible for marketing delivery, and the right supporting infrastructure in place.
- Define the KPIs: If your goals are annual, you should put in place monthly or quarterly KPIs so that if you are not hitting your goal at the required pace, you can adapt your strategy and make the relevant changes.
- Celebrate: If your team is helping the business achieve its marketing goals, then everyone should celebrate the victory. Define from the start how the team will celebrate so that everyone can work towards achieving it.
In my marketing experience, it’s important to regularly remind all team members of the goals that are in place and how performance is measured. It’s also important to continually build on the success of small wins along the way by bringing the whole team with you.
Marketing can be fun, but it’s also labor-intensive and repetitive in many ways. Ad hoc marketing doesn’t work, and for those who continually set marketing goals and then stray from the marketing plan when a brilliant new idea arises, you will find that the goals are more difficult to achieve.
Make them easy. Make a plan, a way to achieve this plan and measure your performance along the way.